Welcome to Rocester Parish Council website. We aim to keep the community informed of all the local events and provide a line of communication with the council via this website.
Rocester is about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Uttoxeter, and close to the county border with Derbyshire. The village lies on a triangle of land between the River Churnet and River Dove, which join to the south.
A Roman fort was founded on the site in about 69 AD, as an intermediate point between Derby and Newcastle-under-Lyme . The remains of the earthworks can still be seen. After the Romans departed, in about 400 AD, the village remained in use by the Anglo-Saxons throughout the Middle Ages.
In 1141 the St Mary’s Augustinian Abbey was built on the site now known as Abbey Fields. The order was disbanded in 1538; the abbey and its chapel were demolished and a manor house was built on the site.
In 1781 Richard Arkwright bought an old corn mill on the River Dove and converted it to a water-powered cotton mill. The mill was a great driving force in the expansion of the village; its owners were responsible for much building in the village. The mill has now been converted into the JCB Academy.
A major employer had arrived in the village, JCB. The present factory, on the site of the original 1950s factory, was opened in 1970 and is the world headquarters for the company.